The US EPA has announced the results of a three year survey of contamination in Area IV and the Northern Buffer Zone of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL.) Though Boeing claimed it had cleaned everything up, EPA found hundreds of locations with contamination, a half century after a partial nuclear meltdown and other accidents. EPA found 291 soil samples with Cesium-137 contamination, at levels up to 1,000 times background and far above EPA’s remediation goals for unrestricted use. In addition, 153 samples had strontium-90 contamination, at levels up to 284 times background.Read More ...
Posts Tagged ‘Santa Susana Field Laboratory’
A petition to bring back the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL) Interagency workgroup has been signed by over 200 people. The petition requests that DTSC reinstate the Workgroup, which has served the community, elected officials, and media for over 20 years.
*UPDATED – Community efforts successfully revive SSFL Work Group! Next meeting February 5, 2014.
The Rocketdyne Cleanup Coalition was pleased with NASA’s recent announcement that it will fully comply with the Agreement on Consent (AOC) signed in December 2010 to cleanup it’s portion of SSFL to background levels and that it will modify the proposed scope of its Environmental Impact Statement to be in compliance with the AOC.Read More ...
Assemblymember Julia Brownley issued a press release on March 5, 2012 regarding new EPA data that show substantial radioactive contamination at the Santa Susana Field Laboratory.
Pictured to left: gamma isotopic detector mounted on a burro at SSFLRead More ...
The Rocketdyne Cleanup Coalition and allied organizations including the Southern California Federation of Scientists, Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles, and Committee to Bridge the Gap have filed a Amicus Brief in opposition to Boeing’s efforts to overturn SB990, the state cleanup law for the Santa Susana Field Laboratory.Read More ...
In the News
- Field lab cleanup plan gets mixed reviews
- Santa Susana Field Lab broken promises
- Activists furious over missed deadline
- Santa Susana toxic cleanup delayed again
- Department of Energy wants to alter clean-up plans for toxic Santa Susana site
- Feds release draft plan for SSFL cleanup
- Dept. of Energy secretly funding front group to sabotage its own Santa Susana Field Lab cleanup
- Protest of Boeing Santa Susana Field Lab tour leads to potential discovery of new contamination
- Critics question safety of Boeing’s Santa Susana Field Lab hikes
- ATSDR Bows Out of Santa Susana Field Lab Probe
- Federal Agency Backtracks on Rocketdyne Study
- Face Truth on Santa Susana Field Lab
- LA's Nuclear Secret
- A last remaining survivor recalls field lab’s nuclear meltdown
- Santa Susana Cleanup Effort is a Toxic Mess