The US EPA has announced the results of a three year survey of contamination in Area IV and the Northern Buffer Zone of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL.) Though Boeing claimed it had cleaned everything up, EPA found hundreds of locations with contamination, a half century after a partial nuclear meltdown and other accidents. EPA found 291 soil samples with Cesium-137 contamination, at levels up to 1,000 times background and far above EPA’s remediation goals for unrestricted use. In addition, 153 samples had strontium-90 contamination, at levels up to 284 times background.Read More ...
Posts Tagged ‘DTSC’
A petition to bring back the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL) Interagency workgroup has been signed by over 200 people. The petition requests that DTSC reinstate the Workgroup, which has served the community, elected officials, and media for over 20 years.
*UPDATED – Community efforts successfully revive SSFL Work Group! Next meeting February 5, 2014.
The Rocketdyne Cleanup Coalition was pleased with NASA’s recent announcement that it will fully comply with the Agreement on Consent (AOC) signed in December 2010 to cleanup it’s portion of SSFL to background levels and that it will modify the proposed scope of its Environmental Impact Statement to be in compliance with the AOC.Read More ...
On September 3, in a tremendous victory for community members, breakthrough Agreements-in-Principle (AIPs) were announced between the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for the cleanup of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL).Read More ...
DTSC’s Runkle Canyon team (Rick Brausch, Mark Malinowski, and John Naginis) will hold a meeting on September 30 to discuss the recently approved Runkle Canyon Response Plan. Thursday, September 30 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. DTSC Chatsworth office, conference room 1-136 9211 Oakdale Avenue Chatsworth, CA 91311 [googleMap name=”DTSC” width=”600″ height=”400″]9211 Oakdale Avenue, Chatsworth, […]Read More ...
In the News
- Brandeis-Bardin's Toxic Denial
- Save Children, Not Test Stands
- Don't Save Contaminated Test Stands
- LA County to press for full cleanup of Santa Susana Field Laboratory
- Supervisors say feds' field lab cleanup plan falls short
- LA County Demands Full Cleanup of Toxic Site Above Valleys
- Parents Hold Vigil, Demand Full Cleanup of Toxic Santa Susana Site
- Concerned Parents Call for Full Cleanup of Toxic Santa Susana Site
- Field lab cleanup plan gets mixed reviews
- Santa Susana Field Lab broken promises
- Department of Energy wants to alter clean-up plans for toxic Santa Susana site
- Feds release draft plan for SSFL cleanup
- Dept. of Energy secretly funding front group to sabotage its own Santa Susana Field Lab cleanup
- Critics question safety of Boeing’s Santa Susana Field Lab hikes
- ATSDR Bows Out of Santa Susana Field Lab Probe
- Federal Agency Backtracks on Rocketdyne Study
- Face Truth on Santa Susana Field Lab
- LA's Nuclear Secret
- A last remaining survivor recalls field lab’s nuclear meltdown
- Santa Susana Cleanup Effort is a Toxic Mess