The US EPA has announced the results of a three year survey of contamination in Area IV and the Northern Buffer Zone of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL.) Though Boeing claimed it had cleaned everything up, EPA found hundreds of locations with contamination, a half century after a partial nuclear meltdown and other accidents. EPA found 291 soil samples with Cesium-137 contamination, at levels up to 1,000 times background and far above EPA’s remediation goals for unrestricted use. In addition, 153 samples had strontium-90 contamination, at levels up to 284 times background.Read More ...
Posts Tagged ‘Boeing’
The Rocketdyne Cleanup Coalition and allied organizations including the Southern California Federation of Scientists, Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles, and Committee to Bridge the Gap have filed a Amicus Brief in opposition to Boeing’s efforts to overturn SB990, the state cleanup law for the Santa Susana Field Laboratory.Read More ...
Congressman Brad Sherman, Assemblymember Julia Brownley, Ventura County Supervisor Linda Parks, and LA City Councilman Greig Smith held a press conference at SSFL to deliver a letter to Boeing to call on it to stop frustrating the cleanup and join in the agreements-in-principle reached with DOE, NASA, and the state.Read More ...
On June 3 the Water Board voted to put back in place enforceable numeric limits for Outfalls 8 and 9 at SSFL. The decision to reinstate enforceable limits occurred after it was revealed that the apparent promise Boeing had made the year before to simultaneously do contaminated soil removal (Interim Source Removal Act, or ISRA) with Engineered Natural Treatment Systems (ENTS) to capture contamination that might be mobilized by the excavation had been breached, and ENTS not put in.Read More ...
In the News
- Brandeis-Bardin's Toxic Denial
- Save Children, Not Test Stands
- Don't Save Contaminated Test Stands
- LA County to press for full cleanup of Santa Susana Field Laboratory
- Supervisors say feds' field lab cleanup plan falls short
- LA County Demands Full Cleanup of Toxic Site Above Valleys
- Parents Hold Vigil, Demand Full Cleanup of Toxic Santa Susana Site
- Concerned Parents Call for Full Cleanup of Toxic Santa Susana Site
- Field lab cleanup plan gets mixed reviews
- Santa Susana Field Lab broken promises
- Department of Energy wants to alter clean-up plans for toxic Santa Susana site
- Feds release draft plan for SSFL cleanup
- Dept. of Energy secretly funding front group to sabotage its own Santa Susana Field Lab cleanup
- Critics question safety of Boeing’s Santa Susana Field Lab hikes
- ATSDR Bows Out of Santa Susana Field Lab Probe
- Federal Agency Backtracks on Rocketdyne Study
- Face Truth on Santa Susana Field Lab
- LA's Nuclear Secret
- A last remaining survivor recalls field lab’s nuclear meltdown
- Santa Susana Cleanup Effort is a Toxic Mess